Cleveland Fire Brigade is urging people to look out for family, friends and neighbours to make sure their gas appliances are safe and checked at least once a year.
It comes in support of Gas Safety Week (Sept 19-25) and a reminder that poorly maintained appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
It is hoped an increase in checks will prevent a repeat of incidents such as a recent case involving the Brigade. We were called out to check on a bleeping smoke alarm at the home of an elderly couple. It turned out to be a carbon monoxide detector that had activated.
On entering the home Brigade staff began to feel nauseous and dizzy. We opened the windows, evacuated the couple and a gas engineer confirmed it was a severe carbon monoxide leak and carried out emergency repairs.
Phil Lancaster, Director of Community Protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “Making sure gas appliances are safe can be a matter of life and death. In the above case the couple were very lucky that the carbon monoxide was detected in time.
“We fully support the need for and urge people to check on family and friends, be they elderly parents or vulnerable neighbours, and ensure their appliances are in good working order.”
With 22 deaths and nearly 1,000 gas-related injuries in the UK last three years, it’ is vital that gas appliances are safety checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Anyone working on gas appliances while not being Gas Safe registered is working illegally.
Jonathan Samuel, managing director for Gas Safe Register, said: “By working together we can reach more people and help to reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in the homes of the UK’s 23 million gas consumers. We know from our own investigations that around one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe, meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents.”
Reach out to those who need help keeping gas safe at home by following these top tips: