The Central Public Library was officially opened in 1912 by Alderman Amos Hinton. Built on two plots of land, one donated by Sir Hugh Bell, the other by Alderman Amos Hinton, the foundation stone was laid in 1910 and the building, sometimes known as the Carnegie Library, was officially opened on May 8, 1912. Featuring a classical design selected from 203 submissions, its architects were Messrs. S. B. Russell and T. E. Cooper, of Gray's Inn Square, London.
In its original form, it provided a lending library where boys' and girls' sections were separated by a screen, a ladies' reading room, a central news room with a separate entrance in Grange Road, and on the first floor were the law and patent and reference libraries. This was Middlesbrough's first purpose-built premises to house its public library.
Lending Library: 01642 729002; email@example.com
Reference Library: 01642 729001; firstname.lastname@example.org